I’ve been eating museli for breakfast this week at work – and have been thinking that it is probably very easy to make, healthy, and easy to change by adding your own ingredients.
Therefore I’ve found a couple of recipies to try out:
Ingredients (serves 8)
- 400g (4 cups) rolled oats
- 160g (1 cup) whole almonds
- 150g (1 cup) dried apricots, chopped
- 160g (1 cup) sultanas
- 65g (1 cup) dried apple, chopped
- 80g (1/2 cup) sunflower seed kernels
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Spread the rolled oats and almonds over the base of a large baking dish and cook in preheated oven, shaking dish occasionally, for 20-30 minutes or until aromatic and lightly toasted. Remove from oven and cool.
- Combine toasted rolled oats and almonds, dried apricots, sultanas, dried apple and sunflower seed kernels in a large bowl. Store in an airtight jar in a cool place for up to 1 month.
Photography by Luke Burgess
1.16 kg (8 cups)
- Melted butter, to lightly grease
- 270g (3 cups) rolled oats
- 220g (2 cups) bran cereal
- 80g (2 cups) bran flakes
- 170g (1 cup) sultanas
- 80g (1/2 cup) sunflower kernels
- 50g (1/2 cup) flaked almonds
- 30g (1/2 cup) flaked coconut
- 40g (1/4 cup) linseeds
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 185ml (3/4 cup) honey
- 80g butter, coarsely chopped
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Brush a large roasting pan with melted butter to lightly grease. Combine the oats, bran cereal and flakes, sultanas, sunflower kernels, almonds, coconut, linseeds and cinnamon in a large bowl.
- Drizzle prepared pan with honey and sprinkle with butter. Cook in oven for 5 minutes or until butter foams and honey begins to bubble (make sure butter and honey are melted so the oat mixture can be evenly coated in the honey mixture).
- Add oat mixture to the pan. Stir to coat in honey mixture. Spread evenly over base of pan (make sure the mixture Is even so it cooks at the same rate).
- Cook in oven, stirring every 5 minutes with a flat-edged wooden spoon, for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven and set aside for 30 minutes to cool.
Notes & tips
- This muesli will keep for up to 2 months. Store in an airtight container out of direct sunlight.
Recipe by Sarah Hobbs
Can’t wait to try them!